Wednesday, January 20, 2010

17/365: think big

sorry, i just uploaded this today for yesterday's photo. i have to admit that this 365 daily photo challenge is getting difficult (durs, that's why it's called a challenge!).
when i first started in my current job, i was given a book called the magic of thinking big. i remember rolling my eyes and thinking, great, a self-help book (not that i have anything against them).
fast forward a few months ago (a year later in my job), in the midst of some kind of quarter mid life crisis (almost), i saw it in my bookshelf and whipped it out. and let me tell you, i was lapping everything up. this book is awesome. and to my surprise, it was written in the 1950s. it's crazy, but everything the author addresses: self esteem, lack of confidence, relationships with others, relationship with yourself, etc...are all issues that we are still dealing with today.
one of the most important lessons i drew from this is to remember what your goals are, what you want to be when you "grow up", to never loose sight of that goal and to work tirelessly towards it. he doesn't offer you empty promises, but helps you see things in a different way.
it seems almost childish to have post-it reminders on your mirror, but sometimes i forget - especially on bad days when i think that my goals are unrealistic when really they aren't. so yesterday i remembered and signed up for another night course. one less towards that event+meeting management certificate!
if you've ever felt/thought the way i did (and still do), you should give this book a try.
have a good day, all!

5 comments:

Antoinette said...

In November 2009 I did a "30 days in my life" daily photojournal. I wondered if I could keep it up, and though I missed a few days in between, it had become a habit by the end of the project and I found myself instinctively reaching for my camera to document something well into December. I hope you find the same is true for you! I've never heard of that book but will check it out. :)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Hi there, I'm participating in the 365 Project too (just the picture a day one, not the self portrait one). I've started at blog here: http://show-ntell.blogspot.com I'm actually getting my graduate degree in photography but am finding this a challenge too!

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

I like your post-it reminders very much. Important things to remember.

Jacqui Dodds said...

I think we have this book somewhere and I am going to have to look for it. Glad that you found something to start you back on the road again! I think you are right about not forgetting your goals - I am in the middle of career changes and beginnings and am starting to realise I am straying away from the path which I think I should be on. I use post-its too to remind me things.
By the way what is your job?

melissa said...

antoinette - yes, that's very true. i find that my iphone has been quite the handy companion! you must really check out the book!

leilani - i checked your blog out and i love your pictures! will definitely be coming back for more!

post grad hair cut - thank you! i will switch them soon. hehe.

jacqui - yes, you should look for it! i think the book is a real life saver. i'm a national sales coordinator for an investments company. it's very administrative (expense reports and all that) but there's also event and meeting planning involved!